[Ronja] Range Reduction

Karel Kulhavy clock at twibright.com
Wed Oct 10 23:05:12 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 10:25:55PM +0200, Jakub Sykora wrote:
> Daniel Polak napsal(a):
> > How important is the range reduction to let's say make ronja work on a distance of 5m? What's technical difference when you do the range reduction?
> >

> This is a common problem in nearly all telco products - the receiver has
> some dynamic range, which cannot be exceeded. This is the same with your
> eyes or ears. You cannot hear distant noises and heavy metal concert at
> once. And people's sensors are of much more better quality then
> electronics can be. Compare the density of eyes to the density of the
> best digital camera.

Noone wants Ronja to receive strong and weak signal at the same time. Your
ears are actually able to hear wide dynamic range but they use trick - a muscle
in the ear contracts and moves something in the mechanical transmission inside
the ear to make it less sensitive.

There could be an automatic mechanism like this in Ronja but there is an
inherent problem with stability and transient response of such mechanism
and it would increase the complexity.

So instead you do it manually by resoldering a resistor and capacitor.
People don't change the length of their link often.

I am trying to make a better RX which would have improved dynamic range.